UK, EU, Non-EU Right to Work differences

Right to work checks:

We have to make certain legal checks to make sure you have the right to work in the UK. The checks vary depending on which one the following best describes you:
  • UK Citizen
  • EU Citizen
  • Non-EU Citizen
UK Citizen:

Sections 15 to 26 of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality 2006, requires that we check documents to prove you have the right to work in the UK.

Most production companies do prefer passport copies as proof of right to work in the UK. However, if you are a UK citizen without a passport - we can check your identity by scanning a copy of your full birth or adoption certificate instead.

We will also need an official letter or document from a government agency (for example HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, or the Social Security Agency in Northern Ireland) or previous employer, showing your name and National Insurance number.

For more information click here:

Non-EU Citizen: 

Non-EU Citizens will be asked to upload a copy of their work visa or right to remain document before approval.

Important: Non-EU passport holders on a Student Visa may not be eligible to work for The Casting Collective. This is because non-EU student visa holders are not allowed to work as self-employed in the UK and when working as an extra you are considered self-employed.

EU Citizen:

The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 27 countries. It operates an internal (or single) market which allows free movement of goods, capital, services and people between member states.

The EU countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

The European Economic Area (EEA)

The EEA includes EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. It allows them to be part of the EU’s single market.

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.

Any other country is non-EU

More details can be found here:

Continuing to work in the UK if you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen:

You and your family usually need to apply to continue living in the UK after 31 December 2020 if you’re from any of the following:

  • the EU (except Ireland)
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway

Citizens’ rights after the UK leaves the EU:

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021.

How we check the EU, EEA or Swiss citizens’ right to work in the UK will change after June 2021. In the meantime, even though the UK has left the EU, you can still use your passport ID until 30 June 2021.

After 30 June 2021 deadline:

Your permanent residence document will not be valid after 31 December 2020. You’ll be able to stay in the UK until 30 June 2021 without doing anything.

To continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 you’ll need to either:

  • apply to the EU Settlement Scheme
  • apply for British citizenship

Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme:

You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to stay in the UK. You’ll get settled status if you’re successful.

You can still choose to apply for citizenship at a later date if you get settled status.

Apply for British citizenship:

You can usually apply for British citizenship 12 months or more after the date on your permanent residence document.

If you’re married to, or in a civil partnership with, a British citizen, you can apply for citizenship as soon as you’ve got a permanent residence document.

If you are not sure if you need to take action or not, you can check on the UK Government website

Have a different question? We have over 100 answers for you: here

Feedback and Knowledge Base